About the word Shekinah

The word Shekinah (shuh-kigh-nuh) means dwelling. It refers to the visible manifestation of the presence (or Shekinah Glory) of God. A luminous cloud. It is the very presence of God on earth. (see Holy Bible-Exodus 24:9-18)

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

"Souvenier Postcard Project"


Okay, so I am researching a new project. I'm looking into making postcards for the area where I live. This is a test postcard that I did just to see how one might look. I actually live in a small town outside of Boise, Idaho. The owner of a local gift shop told me that people are always asking for postcards of our little town. Well, to my knowledge, they don't exist. So, I am going to try to make that happen.

Big publishers don't usually do postcards of small towns since they aren't a large print job; at least that's what my research has shown so far. So, I am researching other options for having them printed. I will have to pay more for them since they will be printed on such a small scale, and that then begs the question, "How much would I need to charge for them and would people pay that price?" I would tend to think if they are the only ones on the market that people would pay whatever price I put on them, within reason.

Some of the online photo places have postcards you can make out of your photos, but they are like $1.99 each! That's outrageous and I would then have to mark them up from there. In this economy, especially, I can't see people paying what I would have to charge for a single postcard even if they were the only ones.

Some of the printing places I've researched can do them much more cost effectively as far as printing in bulk like 100/250/500 and up, but they also charge like $5 per photo uploaded to make the postcard. That would also have to be added to the cost. Hmmmmmm...what to do.

If anyone reading this post knows anything that could help me in this process, I would be grateful to hear any tips, suggestions or ideas. Please feel free to e-mail me.

*Feel free to comment on my postcard. (just click on the word comment, below) I would like to hear what you think.*

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I found your link through Zenfolio. You commented on my site. I absolutely love your photography and the way you write, but I'll respond to more of that later. Regarding the postcards, have you tried Zazzle? Even if you don't want to sell to the public there, you can create them, buy them at your cost and then mark them up for sale wherever you are selling them. I've been doing a lot of stuff there. Slowed down a little lately with Christmas and getting my Zen site set up. Email me if you want more information.

Kathleen said...

Thank you so much for your help regarding the post cards. I will be checking into Zazzle. Looking forward to more info. from you in my email.

Related Posts with Thumbnails