About the word Shekinah

The word Shekinah (shuh-kigh-nuh) means dwelling. It refers to the visible manifestation of the presence (or Shekinah Glory) of God. A luminous cloud. It is the very presence of God on earth. (see Holy Bible-Exodus 24:9-18)

Monday, March 31, 2008

"La Quebrada Cliff Divers"

03/08/08

The first stop on our cruise after two days at sea, was Acapulco. We took a bus tour and saw the cliff divers. What a sight they were to see! We only got to watch four or so of them dive, so I had to shoot fast. I used my 75-300mm zoom and shot from a prime spot up above the cliffs. These are a couple of my favorites.




"Everyday, La Quebrada becomes the stage for daring locals who risk their lives, jumping from a height of more than 110 feet. The show, which has been going on since the 1930s, starts with the divers climbing the natural clefts in the cliff walls to reach the highest point. From there they jump, never forgetting to cross themselves, and say a little prayer in the sanctuary first."
Each dive must be carefully timed. The ebb and flow of the tide makes these dives extremely dangerous.



The younger boys start diving around age 8 from lower levels on the cliffs. I'm glad none of these are my children. Wow! Nowadays, most of these divers are professionals who also take part in competitions and demonstrations worldwide. This show ends with a majestic dive at night, lit by torches.

The bigger these photos are, the better I like them. You can see them larger on my website, Just click HERE . I welcome your comments!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! No way you'd get me to dive off cliffs....even tho I remember in high school, how we'd jump off hwy101 into the outflow from the power plant...into the breakwater & out into the rip tides! Ah, youth... Anyway, FABULOUS shots, Kath! You are so talented! And again I say...
OHMYGOSH!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic!!! What a thrill to get to watch and capture this!! :) Great job!

Related Posts with Thumbnails